Meet Riley Klim. Riley is a nephrology patient at MUSC Children’s Hospital, and is not only a member of the youth patient advisory committee for the new MUSC Shawn Jenkins Children’s Hospital, but has also been chosen to represent the MUSC Children’s Hospital as the 2018 Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals Champion. Riley will serve as the face of all local CMN Hospitals campaigns throughout the 2018 calendar year. Riley recently answered a few questions about being the CMN Hospitals Champion and his health journey.
1. Tell us about what brought you to MUSC.
When I was 22 months old, I started to swell up a lot and gained about 10 pounds. My parents had no idea what it was so they brought me to an after-hours clinic. The doctors at the after-hours clinic told my parents that I was just putting on a little weight, and to follow up with my regular doctor! My parents then brought me to my regular doctor, who did a nephrology study. He told my parents I am nephrotic and to go straight to MUSC Children’s Hospital!
2. Tell us what it is like to be this year’s Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals Champion and represent MUSC Children’s Hospital.
So far, I have had an awesome year being a champion for MUSC! From co-hosting Concert for the Kids, to helping raise over $2.5 million at the Children’s Miracle Network/Speedway Golf Tournament where I met Jack Nicklaus and Miss America! My favorite thing about being the champion is knowing that I am helping to provide a place where kids like me can get better and have fun!
3. You are on the youth patient advisory committee for the new hospital, can you tell us a little more about this and your involvement?
As an YPAC member, we give our input on many subjects. From how doctors can better involve teen patients in conversations to what furniture would be better for the new hospital. It is awesome and an honor to serve as a member!
4. What are you most excited about in the new MUSC Shawn Jenkins Children's Hospital?
I am probably most excited about the outside space and movie area on the seventh floor of the new hospital!
5. What does your family like to do for fun?
My family loves going to the pool, biking, walking, and just being together.
6. Do you already have an idea of what you would like to do when you grow up?
When I grow up, I want to be a pediatric nurse at MUSC!