Special Event Guidelines
While the MUSC Shawn Jenkins Children’s Hospital is grateful to be the beneficiary of fundraising events/activities held by outside entities, the MUSC Shawn Jenkins Children’s Hospital does not act as a sponsor of, advance monies for, or solicit sponsorship revenue for activities conducted by non-MUSC Shawn Jenkins Children’s entities. The MUSC Children’s Fund does not assume responsibility for the planning, publicity, or conduct of the event/activity, as those responsibilities remain solely with you as the entity organizing and holding the event/ activity. The MUSC Children’s Fund’s ability to provide services for your event/activity is limited by staff size and internal staffing obligations. We state this in advance so that there are no misunderstandings with regard to our ability to participate with you and support your event/activity.
- Any individual, business or organization that wants to raise money for the MUSC Shawn Jenkins Children’s Hospital must first fill out a Benefit Proposal Form for review by the Office of Development.
- Once a proposal has been reviewed and approved, the event/activity organizers may begin to solicit sponsors/ participants for the event.
- All event/activity materials—including, but not limited to, advertising, press releases, posters, flyers, T-shirts and public service announcements—that include the MUSC Shawn Jenkins Children’s Hospital or Children’s Miracle Network Hospital’s name(s) or logo(s) must be reviewed and approved prior to distribution/production by the MUSC Children’s Fund.
- The MUSC Shawn Jenkins Children’s Hospital and/or Children’s Miracle Network Hospital’s at MUSC is the beneficiary, and not the sponsor, of all benefit events/activities. Sponsor solicitation, and all promotional materials that use the MUSC Shawn Jenkins Children’s Hospital name/logo should use the terms “proceeds to benefit the campaign for the MUSC Shawn Jenkins Children’s Hospital.”
- As the beneficiary, the MUSC Shawn Jenkins Children’s Hospital or the MUSC Children’s Fund will not assume any responsibility, liability associated with the event/activity. There must be a $1,000,000 general liability coverage, provided by the organizing individual or company, and the MUSC Shawn Jenkins Children’s Hospital/MUSC Children’s Fund must be named as an additional insured. All bills are the responsibility of the organizing individual, business or group and must be paid before net proceeds from the event/activity are given to the MUSC Children’s Fund.
- The sponsor retains all responsibility for the design and implementation of the event/activity, including safety precautions. It is recommended that the sponsor obtain appropriate insurance coverage(s) in case of accident or other negative occurrence.
- The proper name of the event beneficiary is the MUSC Shawn Jenkins Children’s Hospital. All checks should be made payable to “MUSC Shawn Jenkins Children’s Hospital”
- An event application form and approval is required annually for each special event.
What the MUSC Children’s Fund can do to assist you with your event, in accordance to policy:
- Provide and approve the use of the MUSC Shawn Jenkins Children’s Hospital name and logo as appropriate.
- Assist in directing contributions toward areas of special interest or areas of need within the MUSC Shawn Jenkins Children’s Hospital.
- Promote your event/fundraiser.
- Attend events or check presentations, as schedule allows.
- Acknowledge direct contributions to the MUSC Shawn Jenkins Children’s Hospital in accordance with its policies.
- Provide the MUSC Shawn Jenkins Children’s Hospital tax exemption number, unless stated otherwise.
What the MUSC Children’s Fund cannot do:
- Guarantee event attendance by employees, patients, physicians or volunteers.
- Provide funding or reimbursement for expenses, unless it is agreed upon before the expense is incurred.
- Provide mailing lists of donors, vendors, board members, medical staff members, employees or any other affiliated Children’s Hospital Fund constituencies.
Complete the Benefit Proposal Form
Any individual or organization who intends to promote an event to benefit MUSC Children's Health must contact us a minimum of 60 days in advance of the event.